Saturday, July 4, 2009

Delicious is Delicious

So, it didn't take long following cool people on Twitter to be to be inundated with numerous links to awesome stuff. Being the teacher that I am, my first instinct was to save them somewhere safe in case later I had the urge to share or revisit. Out of habit, I pulled down the bookmark menu and before I could even slide down to "add bookmark" I was struck by the chaos of my list. There were random links for kayak storage racks, algebra worksheets, and poems I had considered for my wedding. Yikes. Cleaning up this mess was going to be a major undertaking.

The next day on Twitter, someone randomly posted about Delicious.com which I vaguely remembered from MACUL (but didn't really retain it because I wasn't ready for it to be meaningful). Delicious is a web based bookmarking site (talk about good timing!). The one huge advantage I saw was the ability to access my bookmarks from ANY computer with internet access. Long gone were the days of having to re-find links at school!!!

So, it was a tedious day (like any cleaning project), but what a sense of peace at the end. I purged outdated materials, created my common "tags" and started labeling. Tags are definitely superior to folders because I can attach multiple tags to a website as needed. As a finishing touch, I marked my favorite tags to be displayed across the top of my browser for easy access.

I am slowly beginning to discover that there is more to Delicious than meets the eye. For example, I can:
1.) see how many other people have also bookmarked the same page (quality check)
2.) import pertinent bookmark lists from people I respect by adding them to my network**
3.) subscribe to popular bookmarks for a specific tag**
4.) send and receive bookmarks with other people**

**Frankly, even though I think these are great features that I will really appreciate one day, I got distracted by another web 2.0 application and haven't really given these a fair shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment